Friday, September 11, 2009
Blogging is a low-cost, high-results tool for competitive differentiation, marketing, customer relations management, media contacts, and sales. Plus, the software platform is much simpler than what’s required for websites, so any business can afford to set up and maintain a blog. And now blogging is getting more and more popular:
Blog search engine Technorati was tracking more than 112 million blogs since 2007.
Simple tips for bloggers:
1. Blog what you care about. If you don't care about the subject, it shows.
2. Let your character show through your writing, don't let it restrain you.
3. Experiment with different formats; some like to write short posts, and post often, for eg. Andrew Sullivan. Some prefer more sporadic posting, but write long posts, like Glenn Greenwald, who posts a 2000-word essay on a daily basis. Neither is wrong, both grab their own audiences, and both deliver quality writing and content.
4. Develop your own style of writing, and stick to it.
5. Don't be too bothered with lack of comments or interaction, but be sure to respond quickly to comments left by your readers.
6. And really, blog what you care about.
-- Robin Low